5.17.2010

23 Things, Week 12

This screencasting assignment took me almost as long to complete as the Week 10 video project and was almost as nerve-wracking. Writing the screencast script was a lot like doing technical writing-- clarity, brevity, de-jargoning, and not assuming the viewer has any existing knowledge about the topic are all important. My script kept taking tangents I hadn't counted on and I had to keep pulling it back or my screencast would have been very long! After a few rehearsals, I was ready to record. Or thought I was. First I noticed my voice got funny. Then I found I couldn't see as much of the screen on my Acer netbook as I'd like, so I ditched the browser toolbars (F11) to expand the browser window. Several recording attempts later, I realized I was so nervous I couldn't make the glide pad work right, so I attached a mouse to my Acer. One annoying thing I couldn't fix was my mouse pointer: it kept jumping/flashing/pulsing while I was recording. Happily, it did not come through on the finished product:



I can think of all kinds of uses for screencasting for staff and public: tutorials, procedural docu-casting, reader's advisory tips, "ads" for upcoming programs that could be embedded on the library's Facebook page. It's great that the tools for making screencasts keep getting easier to use, and the price is certainly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment