3.25.2010

23 Things, Week 8

Cloud computing-- how cool is that? As stated in the 23 Things: Cloud Computing blog, we've all been cloud hopping to some extent. Recently I set up web based credit card processing for our family business: updates are automatic and statements and customer information are stored on the service provider's servers. Nothing physically "lives" onsite, so I don't have to worry about server maintenance or security issues (unless the provider gets hacked!). I can access all that information no matter where I am.

For this assignment I chose to work with Google docs because my work email is Google based. I've never created a Google doc, but I have used a form someone else created. I decided to try out presentations-- found the interface straightforward if somewhat stripped down compared to PowerPoint, but it does have the basics. So I created a very short presentation and sent out invites to several people to collaborate on my Google docs presentation about "What I've Learned From 23 Things." That didn't go as smoothly as I'd expected. It seems that Google docs disputed my right to share my presentation with others who were not of the @lawrence.lib.ks.us domain. So I shared with a couple of LPL staff and copied to myself, then forwarded that email to 2 other 23 Things participants. Let's see if I get any nibbles. Back in a few ... (tempus fugit) ... Discovery? I believe that even though my work email @lawrence.lib.ks.us is Google based mail, it is not "pure" Google (i.e., not @gmail.com) and therefore won't let me share docs with outsiders. Or maybe it's a firewall issue. I downloaded my presentation to my desktop, then uploaded to my personal gmail account, and am resharing with the people who couldn't share previously. I was allowed to share directly from Google docs this time. On the plus side, 3 co-workers have collaboratively edited my presentation. Woooohoooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment